Sunday, May 31, 2020

Law student raking in the dough

A law student has launched a cake-baking business called Nerishs Delight taking the market by storm.

The co-founder of the business, Nerisha S. was interviewed recently and she talked about her cake-baking passion, and how she turned her interests into a business venture two years ago.

Nerisha has been baking cakes since the tender age of 9 learning the tricks and trades from her mother. At that time she was helping her mother, S.K., who has been running a business baking cakes for weddings, birthday parties and all other important occasions for over 20 years.

Nerishs Delight cup cakes
"I started baking very young. I find joy in baking. It is very therapeutic. I create what I want to create, however little or magnificent that cake might turn out to be. When I come home from high school, I used to bake cup cakes as it helped me relax and unwind. Then I started to bake cakes and it truly kept me fulfilled and energised. I will distribute the cakes to my family and friends for their honest feedback and that is how I build myself. Spreading joy is immensely powerful.

"I started to bake more cakes when I went to college as my college buddies found out I was baking, and they all started to order from me. That is when I decided to make a career out of this passion and thus set up Nerishs Delight," said Nerisha.

Finishing her law degree

Some of you might scoff at the idea of leaving the law to drive around dispensing baked goods but Nerisha is not going to do just that.

"I plan to finish my law degree and proceed with chambering. Education is the key to success. I hope then baking still provides the same amount of joy and creative freedom," she said.

Nerisha said since the movement control order (MCO) was implemented on March 18, her cake business has improved tremendously.

She said there is pent-up demand for her cakes from families and friends, including those in her neighbourhood and they are placing orders for a variety of cakes to have at home during their tea time and snacks amid the Covid-19 pandemic.

Nerisha said there is higher demand for Banana Cakes, Classic Carrot Cakes and Moist Chocolate Cakes, which her customers enjoy with a cup of Chai Masala or Earl Grey tea.

Nerishs Delight Fudgy Brownies
"There are some customers who order the cakes to have as dessert after their meal, which they like to top up with vanilla ice-cream. We do get a lot of orders for Fudgy Brownies and the orders are repeating. I have been baking Fudgy Brownies since my school days. They are a classic!," she said.

Hot selling items - Egg-less Cinnamon Rolls and Loaf Cakes

Nerisha said since the MCO was implemented, there has also been a lot of requests from her existing customers to bake Egg-less Cinnamon Rolls and according to her, they are rolling like hot cakes now.

"The cinnamon rolls are soft and they are topped with cheese. The sugar level has been reduced so that everybody can enjoy them," she said,

Another hot selling item is the Loaf Cake and Nerisha bakes quite a few variety, including Chocolate Cake, Orange Cake, Butter Cake and Marble Cake.

Delicious and affordable home-made cakes everyone can buy!

When asked about the number of cakes she can sell a month Nerisha said the current count is about 180-200 cakes, as versus to 30-40 cakes a month before the MCO.

Her selling price? RM30 to RM35 for the cakes (7" x 7") and RM20.00 for the Loaf Cakes, probably the best deal in the market by far!

"I get orders daily. Sometimes it is hard to manage but I am glad that my mum and siblings help me out. I am glad to have the full support from my family," she said.

Nerisha said occasionally, she gets request from customers to bake a cake which is not already on her list and she does accommodate them.

Moist Chocolate Cake 
"They usually ask for Red Velvet or Cheese Cakes to have for a birthday celebration or other important gatherings. These cakes are bigger and they costs more. There have been more orders since the conditional MCO," she said.

Nerishs Delight is open for bookings made two days in advance. You can order the Cakes, Loaf Cakes and Egg-less Cinnamon Rolls for your teatime break, as a desert after your meal, or for that special occasion that is coming up, including festive seasons. She will be adding more varieties, including doughnuts for parties and gatherings. Food catering, too, perhaps?

My verdict?

I was given a slice of the Banana Cake, the Red Velvet Cake and also a piece of the Egg-less Cinnamon rolls and they were to die for. So soft, moist and rich. My birthday is coming up and I know now where to order from. Thank you Nerishs Delight for providing options, fantastic good tasting cake options!

How to order?

To order from Nerishs Delight, WhatsApp : 010 2360440 (place orders two days in advance).

Delivery coverage and charges apply. For Bangsar, Damansara and Subang it is RM10 while for Petaling Jaya (SS 1, 2, 3, 4, 5) it is RM5.


WATCH THE VIDEO ON BAKING A CLASSIC BUTTER CAKE






No comments:

Post a Comment